Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Re-Enlistment Speech

Yesterday marked a very pivital moment that our family was really stuggling with. It was Travis' final re-enlistment, because he is over 10 years this enlistment will be indefinate, which means that we are at the Army's bidding until we retire, for the next 9-11 years. It was a decision that we actually struggled with though the peace that God gave us is what helped us decide that it was the best option for our family.  It was a big moment even if the "recruiting world" had poor attitudes about it, I wanted to make sure Travis knew how much it meant to our family. My bible time yesterday morning was spent in prayer and writing a speech for him, our favorite photographer was hired to join to capture this moment, and the kids were all dressed up and kept from school to witness their Daddio swear in to his Country for the final time.

Sharing this speech is so that our family and friends that could not be there for the ceremony, can still read the words I wrote for him. The words I felt he needed to hear, along with his recruiting command.  This final re-enlistment was going to take place in the very office that he chose to join the Army in over 11 years ago. At all of the past re-enlistment ceremonies and promotion ceremonies I've been asked to say a few words, though never had anything prepared. This time they didn't say anything about my soldier, our family, or even ask if I wanted to say anything but I was prepared and asked to read this anyway!



****************************************************************
Where this journey began.
Standing in the office where decisions were made for enlistment into the United States Army, something bigger than any of us standing here. Brings back many memories over the past 11 years. Those memories and certain actions have always been what has fueled the decisions we have made and will continue to make.

Knowing the sacrifices that our relationship and eventually our family had to endure, were for something bigger than us has always been what has gotten me through all that has come our way. Situations that we, as an Army family, have faced have been full of ups and downs. For those struggles just do not come to the military lifestyle, but is Life.

Thinking back to all that we have faced: separation, moving, deployment and living overseas. There has been good experiences that have come from each struggle that we have faced. There is proof in a box in our basement of our love story, through hundreds of our letters to one another. We may have been separated during that time but no one can take away the memory of how excited I was each day to run to that mailbox to see what had come from you. 

I want to also thank you for choosing this windy and foggy path of the Army. We may not know which way it will take us or be able to see in front of our own feet but the Army has provided us something that is hard to explain. Your love and passion may be Army now but I can see it in your eyes that you would have love to pursue something else like to become a teacher and some day you will. I thank you for sacrificing your own dream for our family and your country.

Without your sacrifice and choosing to serve your country I would not have gotten the chance of a lifetime. I've got the chance to be the very best stay at home Momma that I could without the financial worry. Focused on raising wonderful little citizens all while getting the chance to live in new communities and seeing the world. You also provided us with the chance to be back "home" for the last 4 years. That has been the best gift anyone will ever give us. Not only do our children have actual relationships now with our family but they will have something most Army children will never have gotten, which is stability. They will forever have those strong bonds.

For me, your sacrifices have shown me how much you care for yourself, our family and country. your sacrifices have not been your own but are shared among everyone who loves you. I know being out here in the "recruiting world" has slowed your career, yet another sacrifice, though know how very grateful I am for every moment I've received. Our children, family and friends are truly grateful for being so blessed with this time spent here in our hometown, such an awesome opportunity.

With your actions today you are choosing to continue to provide for our family and more experiences that are unknown but equally as valuable. Just as stated before there will be ups and downs though just as long as there is a "countdown" and we are aware of what is bigger than us, our family will be strong.

How awesome is it to be given the chance to re-enlist your final time in this office where it all began. This journey that has taken us all over the world and placed the most amazing people all around us. Know that with God all things are possible, your sacrifices do not go unseen, our family will forever stand behind you, that this journey is for a lifetime!
*********************************************************


I read this through tear filled eyes and holding back the "ugly cry" so that my husband would know how important this decision was for our family.  Admitting that I've struggled over the last few weeks with this decision, having a very hard time accepting it. Though yesterday was one of the best peace filled days that I've had in weeks. With a thankful and gracious heart I say "Home is where my Soldier is.".

No comments:

Post a Comment